04 Mar 2018
SCOTT MCLAUGHLIN is on provisional pole for Race 2 of the Adelaide 500, with several fancied names missing out on the Top 10 Shootout on Sunday morning.
By Matthew Agius
FOUR Fords, four Holdens and two Nissans will feature in the Top 10 Shootout for the deciding race of the 2018 Adelaide 500, with Scott McLaughlin posting a 1:19.6900 to claim provisional pole.
He was one tenth quicker than the Red Bull Holden Racing Team cars of yesterday's race winner Shane Van Gisbergen and 2017 champion Jamie Whincup.
Whincup was languishing in 15th position for much of the morning before banking a final hotlap in the dying moments of the session.
Two-time Adelaide 500 winner Garth Tander (Wilson Security Racing GRM) surged into fourth with a superfast lap in the last moments of the session.
Three Tickford Falcons made the Top 10 Shootout, with Chaz Mostert (fifth) and Mark Winterbottom (seventh) two tenths off the pace, while Cam Waters responded to a difficult weekend by scraping into tenth, about three tenths off the pace.
David Reynolds (Penrite Commodore) split Mostert and Winterbottom in sixth place.
Encouragingly for Nissan Motorsport, two Altimas will feature in the shootout, with new recruit Andre Heimgartner and Michael Caruso finishing eighth and ninth.
Yesterday's contenders out of the 10
With the emergence of new contenders in the top 10, several of yesterday's competitive cars will need to work their way through the pack on Sunday afternoon.
Most notable was James Courtney - yesterday's second-placed finisher - who qualified 14th ahead of teammate Scott Pye.
Saturday's impressive single-car competitors Lee Holdsworth and Will Davison qualified 13th and 21st respectively.
Nissan leader Rick Kelly - hampered by suspension damage on Saturday - was five tenths off the pace in 16th, with fellow former winner Craig Lowndes in 17th.
Sunday's Top 10 Shootout kicks off with Cam Waters' run at 11:40am ahead of Race 2 at 3:20pm.
Adelaide 500 - Qualifying (Race 2) Top 10
1. Scott McLaughlin, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford) - 1:19.6900
2. Shane Van Gisbergen, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) - +0.1156
3. Jamie Whincup, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) - +0.1369
4. Garth Tander, Wilson Security Racing GRM (Holden) - +0.2213
5. Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Auto Racing/Tickford (Ford) - +0.2287
6. David Reynolds, Erebus Penrite Motorsport (Holden) - +0.2644
7. Mark Winterbottom, Bottle-O Racing/Tickford (Ford) - +0.2836
8. Andre Heimgartner, Plus Fitness/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan) +0.3026
9. Michael Caruso, Drive.com.au/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan) +0.3202
10. Cam Waters, Monster Energy Racing/Tickford (Ford) +0.3577
MORE ON ADELAIDE500.COM.AU
- Race 1: Van Gisbergen speeds to the chequered flag
- Top Three Moments from Saturday
- Your Sunday Planner for the Adelaide 500
- Race 1: Full results