04 Mar 2018
INCREDIBLE final sector performances have delivered the Red Bull Holden Racing Team the front row of the grid for Sunday's Adelaide 500 decider.
By Matthew Agius
SHANE VAN GISBERGEN continues to dominate the streets of Adelaide with a masterful drive in Sunday's Top 10 Shootout to consider his fourth consecutive pole position at Adelaide.
It also marked his seventh pole on the 3.22km circuit, drawing him level atop the race's qualifying stakes with teammate Jamie Whincup, who he edged by just eight thousandths in the shootout.
Scott McLaughlin was around the mark early - posting the fastest time to the second sector, but lost time coming onto the front straight to eventually claim third on the grid.
David Reynolds posted the fourth fastest time in the Erebus Penrite Commodore to start alongside McLaughlin in Sunday's race.
Tickford Falcons occupied the next three positions, with team captain Mark Winterbottom fifth ahead of Cam Waters and Chaz Mostert.
Garth Tander made an error at Turn 4 to drop three tenths behind Reynolds' fastest time, eventually claiming eighth on the grid.
The Nissans of Michael Caruso and Andre Heimgartner rounded out the top 10, with Heimgartner losing his time for kerb-hopping at the Senna Chicane.
Sunday's final race commences at 3:20pm (ACDT).
Adelaide 500 - Top 10 Shootout and Race 2 Grid
1. Shane Van Gisbergen, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) - 1:19.5831
2. Jamie Whincup, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) - +0.0084
3. Scott McLaughlin, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford) - +0.1767
4. David Reynolds, Erebus Penrite Motorsport (Holden) - +0.3039
5. Mark Winterbottom, Bottle-O Racing/Tickford (Ford) - +0.5346
6. Cam Waters, Monster Energy Racing/Tickford (Ford) +0.6042
7. Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Auto Racing/Tickford (Ford) - +0.6530
8. Garth Tander, Wilson Security Racing GRM (Holden) - +0.7057
9. Michael Caruso, Drive.com.au/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan) +0.9547
10. Andre Heimgartner, Plus Fitness/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan) DQ
Positions 11-26 from qualifying
11. Tim Slade, Freightliner Racing (Holden)
12. Fabian Coulthard, Shell V-Power Racing (Ford)
13. Lee Holdsworth, Preston Hire Racing (Holden)
14. James Courtney, Mobil 1 Boost Mobile Racing (Holden)
15. Scott Pye, Mobil 1 Boost Mobile Racing (Holden)
16. Rick Kelly, Castrol/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan)
17. Craig Lowndes, Autobarn Lowndes Racing (Holden)
18. Richie Stanaway, Tickford Racing (Ford)
19. Anton de Pasquale, Erebus Racing (Holden)
20. Nick Percat, Blackwoods Racing (Holden)
21. Will Davison, Milwaukee Racing (Ford)
22. Jack Le Brocq, Tekno Autosport (Holden)
23. James Golding, Wilson Security Racing GRM (Holden)
24. Todd Hazelwood, Bigmate Racing (Ford)
25. Simon De Silvestro, Harvey Norman/Nissan Motorsport (Nissan)
26. Tim Blanchard, CoolDrive Racing (Holden)
MORE ON ADELAIDE500.COM.AU
- Race 1: Van Gisbergen speeds to the chequered flag
- Top Three Moments from Saturday
- Your Sunday Planner for the Adelaide 500
- Race 1: Full results