18 May 2018
NISSAN MOTORSPORT’S Michael Caruso and Rick Kelly have led the timesheets in a dry second practice session at Winton Raceway this afternoon.
It came on the back of a wet morning session that saw Kiwi Fabian Coulthard set the pace in his Shell V-Power Falcon.
The Winton Supersprint is the sixth round of this year’s Virgin Australia Supercars Championship and sees Coulthard’s teammate Scott McLachlan carry a 158-point lead over Shane Van Gisbergen into the weekend.
One tenth of a second separated the top five, with Nissan’s pace the talking point of the afternoon with Andre Heimgartner sixth in the second session and a top-five placing in the early wet practice.
This weekend’s round also serves as a chance for Pirtek Enduro Cup co-drivers to get car time in a designated practice session in the morning – topped by Tickford Racing’s David Russell and Steve Owen in the Monster Energy and MEGA Fuels Falcons respectively.
Macauley Jones (Timken-BJR), Dean Canto (Bottle-O – Tickford) and Garry Jacobsen (Castrol Racing Nissan) rounded out the top five.
Final practice will take place on Saturday morning ahead of qualifying, with Saturday (40 laps) and Sunday (67 laps) races to come.
Winton Supersprint - Practice 1. Top 10
- Fabian Coulthard, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford) 1:32.0341
- Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Auto Racing (Ford) +00.0947
- Jamie Whincup, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) +00.3247
- Andre Heimgartner, Plus Fitness Racing (Nissan) +00.4094
- Scott McLaughlin, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford) +00.4708
- Mark Winterbottom, Bottle-O Racing (Ford) +00.6186
- Rick Kelly, Castrol Racing (Nissan) +00.6908
- Earl Bamber Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) +00.7248
- Richie Stanaway, MEGA Racing (Ford) +00.7639
- Simona De Silvestro, Team Harvey Norman (Nissan) +00.8793
Winton Supersprint - Practice 2, Top 10
- Michael Caruso, Drive Racing (Nissan) 1:19.7105
- Rick Kelly, Castrol Racing (Nissan) +00.0156
- Nick Percat, Timken Racing (Holden) +00.0302
- Fabian Coulthard, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford) +00.0546
- Shane Van Gisbergen, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden) +00.0866
- Andre Heimgartner, Plus Fitness Racing (Nissan) +00.1319
- Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Auto Racing (Ford) +00.1777
- Tim Slade, Freightliner Racing (Holden) +00.2707
- Lee Holdsworth, Preston Hire Racing (Holden) +00.3535
- Scott Pye, Mobil 1 Boost Mobile Racing (Holden) +00.3639