20 May 2018
Fabian Coulthard has rejoined the Supercars series winners’ list with a smooth and consistent performance at Winton Raceway on Sunday afternoon.
It’s his first win for the 2018 Virgin Australia Supercars Championship and comes after a largely productive weekend for the #12 Shell V-Power Ford at the country circuit this weekend.
The Kiwi led an all-New Zealand podium, with Red Bull Holden Racing Team driver Shane Van Gisbergen and teammate Scott McLaughlin taking the lower step.
While Coulthard took the top step of the podium on Sunday, his teammate Scott McLaughlin had to recover a bogged-start from pole position and relied on an early-stop strategy (he pitted on lap four to get clear air) to get him back to third by the close of racing.
The Nissans of Race 14 winner Rick Kelly and Michael Caruso finished inside the top five.
For Coulthard, securing the race win was a confidence-building experience as the series now hibernates for a month before recommencing at Hidden Valley.
“I’m so fortunate to drive such a fantastic car – it was on rails today, and that’s down to the team giving me such an awesome car,” Coulthard said post-race.
“It all came down to the start, I got a great one and lead into turn one and was able to maintain and manage it from there.
“It’s a confidence-builder being back here, being in the number one spot. It’s good for everyone in the team.
“The relationship with my engineer Mark Fenning is new, I think it’s his first win in Supercars as well, so there’s been a few milestones today. It’s so good to be back here.”
McLaughlin continues to lead the championship over second-placed Shane Van Gisbergen and Craig Lowndes, who rose to 12th in Race 14 after qualifying 23rd.
Winton Supersprint – Race 14 | Top 10 Results
- Fabian Coulthard, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford)
- Shane Van Gisbergen, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden)
- Scott McLaughlin, Shell V-Power Racing Team (Ford)
- Rick Kelly, Castrol Racing (Nissan)
- Michael Caruso, Drive Racing (Nissan)
- Scott Pye, Mobil 1 Boost Mobile Racing (Holden)
- Tim Slade, Freightliner Racing (Holden)
- Jamie Whincup, Red Bull Holden Racing Team (Holden)
- Richie Stanaway, MEGA Racing (Ford)
- Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Autor Racing (Ford)