14 Feb 2019
Cam Waters has set the fastest lap in testing at Phillip Island on Thursday, with Mustangs filling six of the top ten places on the time sheet.
It was a fast lap at the end of the session that saw Waters put his Monster Energy Mustang into top place – one hundredth of a second ahead of Shell V-Power Racing Team driver Fabian Coulthard.
Coulthard atop the sheets for the latter part of the afternoon, and was over three tenths of a second quicker than teammate Scott McLaughlin.
Waters was third in the Supercheap Auto Racing Mustang having taken the wheel from full-time teammate Chaz Mostert to set some practice laps during the session.
David Reynolds was best of the Holdens in fourth place having led for early part of the day.
His Penrite Racing team, including teammate Anton De Pasquale (seventh overall) went home early after being one of several teams to exceed the Phillip Island decibel limit during the day.
The team opted not to rectify the issue and saved green tyres by cutting their day short.
It was a positive first day for the Mustang, which had Will Davison (23Red/Tickford) finish fifth, McLaughin eighth and defector Lee Holdsworth (Tickford-Bottle-O) tenth.
The Red Bull Holden Racing Team Commodores of Shane Van Gisbergen and Jamie Whincup were notably down the order in 14th and 19th places respectively.
This is the final all-in test day before the Virgin Australia Supercars Championship gets underway at the Superloop Adelaide 500.
The Superloop Adelaide 500 is the first event of the Supercars Championship and takes place from 28 February - 3 March 2019 at the Adelaide Street Circuit. Tickets are available here.
Supercars Official Test Day
- Cameron Waters, Monster Energy Racing/Tickford, Ford Mustang GT 1:30.7265*
- Fabian Coulthard, Shell V-Power Racing Team, Ford Mustang GT +00.0118
- Chaz Mostert, Supercheap Auto Racing, Ford Mustang GT, +0:00.2125
- David Reynolds, Penrite Racing, Holden Commodore ZB, +0:00.2267
- Will Davison, Milwaukee Racing, Ford Mustang GT, +0:00.2801
- Scott Pye, Mobil 1 MEGA Racing, Holden Commodore ZB, +0:00.3028
- Anton De Pasquale, Penrite Racing, Holden Commodore ZB, +0:00.3069
- Scott McLaughlin, Shell V-Power Racing Team, Ford Mustang GT, +0:00.3391
- James Courtney, Mobil 1 MEGA Racing, Holden Commodore ZB, +0:00.4548
- Lee Holdsworth, The Bottle-O Racing Team, Ford Mustang GT, +0:00.4665